Have you ever thought about enhancing your 2D model to be able to cope with complex sewer networks? We have published an article explaining you how you could do it based on DLLs and we provide the code for the 3 new functions you need to add to SWMM latest release 5.1.

You need to be a member of SWMM 5 or SWMM or EPASWMM and SWMM5 in ICM_SWMM to add comments!

Join SWMM 5 or SWMM or EPASWMM and SWMM5 in ICM_SWMM

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear Rudy,

did you have a look at the article? It explains how it can be done using the added functions. Basically they are general enough in order to be applicable to any 2D Model.

• I am using the Free and Open Source 2D finite Volume Shallow Water Wave solver on a flexibly sized triangular mesh to model flooding over large catchments. Currently this model does not include a piped network model. There is a benefit to linking one to it... How can this be achieved ???

The model is called ANUGA. It is developed by researchers at the Australian National University  and Geoscience Australia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANUGA_Hydro#ANUGA https://anuga.anu.edu.au/ https://github.com/GeoscienceAustralia/anuga_core

• Dear Leandro, thank you for your interest.
    The article is not freely available on the website, but the codes are.
    In any case, please send me an email with your request and I will forward you my Author's copy.
    My email is easy to find, just type TUM Leandro in Google.
    I have now moved to TUM in Munique, Germany.
  • Hi, You need to buy or rent the article - but here is the abstract which you will see if you click on the link

A methodology for linking 2D overland flow models with the sewer network model SWMM 5.1 based on dynamic link libraries

Jorge LeandroRicardo Martins

Abstract

Pluvial flooding in urban areas is characterized by a gradually varying inundation process caused by surcharge of the sewer manholes. Therefore urban flood models need to simulate the interaction between the sewer network and the overland flow in order to accurately predict the flood inundation extents. In this work we present a methodology for linking 2D overland flow models with the storm sewer model SWMM 5. SWMM 5 is a well-known free open-source code originally developed in 1971. The latest major release saw its structure re-written in C ++ allowing it to be compiled as a command line executable or through a series of calls made to function inside a dynamic link library (DLL). The methodology developed herein is written inside the same DLL in C + +, and is able to simulate the bi-directional interaction between both models during simulation. Validation is done in a real case study with an existing urban flood coupled model. The novelty herein is that the new methodology can be added to SWMM without the need for editing SWMM's original code. Furthermore, it is directly applicable to other coupled overland flow models aiming to use SWMM 5 as the sewer network model.

• First received 3 September 2015.
    • Accepted in revised form 30 March 2016.
  • If is possible to read the article? i'm working about the same topic

This reply was deleted.