Hello sir! I am trying to input a historical time series data as inflow into a node in SWMM. I followed the format: STA ID YEAR MONTH DAY HOUR MINUTE VALUE but i keep getting the ERROR 173 warning. I have a daily rainfall data recorded for ten years in excel. how can i convert it into an external input file. Can you provide me with a sample external file in the aforementioned format that SWMM recognizes? Thanks in advance!

You need to be a member of SWMM 5 or SWMM or EPASWMM and SWMM5 in ICM_SWMM to add comments!

Join SWMM 5 or SWMM or EPASWMM and SWMM5 in ICM_SWMM

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I set the rainfall file like this:

CDS-51 2000 10 3 20 0 0.112659

And then I save the excel file as dat file and try to input it into rain gage like the following picture. The problem now is when I try to select my file, another error pop up "I/O error 103". Even though my rainfall file can be selected, my model cannot run successfully. It seems that the model is still using the old time series used before inputting rainfall data file.

Can SWMM run with hourly data of 10 years? Cause I actually succeed in putting my data into timeseries from the inp file. But the model cannot run with it. That's why I got the error 173 in the first place.

3293157288?profile=original3293156478?profile=original

• Thank you very much sir for making me understand this. Cheers! :D

• Yes sir i have 24 months of data. So does it mean that the return period of an event depends on the time period of the data and not on the magnitude of the rainfall on that day?

• Hello sir! Do the results change if days with zero rainfall are included in the time series data? And why is it that I keep getting a return period of 25 months only when I perform statistical analysis? I can't seem to find the problem. Thank you again sir! You have been a big help, i appreciate it. :D

• Your data actually worked for me using these raingage parameters.  I think your message really means you are simulating longer than your rainfall?   I used a 24 hour raingage interval

3293142165?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Hello sir! Do the results change if days with zero rainfall are included in the time series data? And why is it that I keep getting a return period of 25 months only when I perform statistical analysis? I can't seem to find the problem. Thank you again sir! You have been a big help, i appreciate it. :D

• Do you have 24 months of data?  No, the results do not change if you include days of zero rainfall, days of zero rainfall are treated the same as days of NO rainfall.  The code looks for precipitation greater than 0.0 so zero counts the same as none.

• It is now working for me too. Thanks! What I did wrong is that I used the time series as a direct inflow into a node. Due to limited data, I do not have values yet for the %imperviousness of the subcatchment, and so I tried if it will work if i use the time series as a direct inflow. Anyway, i guess i have to acquire those data somehow. Thank you again for your help sir!

• Hi, Send me the Excel file to Robert.Dickisnon@Gmail.com and  I will show you how to make it into a user defined time series for SWMM 5.   Usually, it is a simple matter such as not having the right format for the date of time.

• Good day sir! I have sent the email to you already. Thank you for the quick response. :D

This reply was deleted.